Make the Most of Your Time in Houston

Now that I’m in the middle of my sixth decade of traveling around the sun, Time is acquiring a significantly different value.  I remember “killing time” and “wasting time” and “passing time” in my youth, with procrastination and short-cuts as daily practices.  Both in the abstract and the concrete I’ve always had an interest in time beginning with my studies in philosophy and work in broadcasting: the first considering such concerns as infinite time or organic as opposed to mechanical time and the other trying to use every second possible to transmit a quality message to a mass audience. But, today, with more of my allotted personal time on Earth behind instead of ahead of me, I am much more sensitive to its precious value, some even saying sacred value. Which brings me to the point of this post and its juncture with business:  Why do many managers and business owners–regardless of gender, race or age–not make the absolute most of their time?  I wish I had a nickel every time a stakeholder told me they just didn’t have the time to think about strategy or even to optimize their business day.  I’d be a rich man swimming in the crystal blue waters of the San Blas Islands of Panama right now.  Like the Beatles, I have thought long and hard about “Dear Prudence”, and I’ve lived long enough now to use what time I have–everyday–wisely.

Setting Qualified Business Appointments in Houston

Having made cold-calls for a living more than twenty years, I have given considerable thought to what works, how it works, when it wortelephonesks, and why it works.  There are scripts, and then there is the way those scripts are delivered.  Here are a few thoughts for your consideration.  First, there are four elements to a cold-call: technology, diction, syntax and delivery. Technology is actually the context for the message: the telephone wiring, the best headset, the most accurate automatic dialing, etc.  After learning how to use the technology quickly and effectively, most cold-call training today then directs the attention to diction and syntax (ie. script), unfortunately from the marketer’s advantage.  For I would argue that diction (word choice) and syntax (word order) should start with a quick analysis of the communication style of the prospect, not from the marketer’s style.  Obviously, there is an infinite range of educational and experiential levels on the other end of the telephone, so the successful cold-caller will select appropriate words and then arrange those words for optimal reception and communication.  Finally, though these two elements are very important, they are not nearly as significant as the proper delivery of the message, even when combined.  After all, we’re talking to strangers in the dark, and the only signals with which to make a decision are auditory.  Tone of voice, cadence, and accent–all create an impression of the cold-caller in a micro-second.  Some professionals argue that 87% of effective cold-calling is in the delivery (tone of voice especially); the remaining 13% in a well written script.  Can one develop tone of voice or is it a God-given talent?  Yes and no.  Yes, by way of practice, which would bring experience in handling a variety of situations and strengthening the vocal chords; and no, because only a few have the vocal frequency range and are also willing to apply themselves and practice this sales technique.  For example, I believe my voice has matured considerably by way of hundreds of thousands of calls over the years and now just the sound of it interrupts busy decision-makers and makes them listen for a few well chosen and arranged words.